Earlier, I was saying that I played around with my Chanel bag family while taking the "family picture". It's so much fun categorizing them into different styles, sizes and leathers. I'll share some pictures and information of the "categories" one by one below.
First of all, here's my Chanel Classic Flap family (all with "CC" lock closures)....
And then, among the Classic Flap family, there are 2 sizes which I collect:
1. The "Classique" size (Europe calls them "medium size", while in the US, people call them "medium/large" or "M/L" size) ==> this is the most original size Chanel first released. It's 10" x 6". This size has double flaps (i.e. it has an inner flap when you open the bag.)
2. The "Jumbo" size ==> this is my favourite size of all because it's practical and classic. You can just go casual/formal with them....anything! The dimensions of the jumbo size is 12" x 8". Jumbo sizes only have 1 outer flap unlike the medium sizes with double flaps.
Here are the "medium" size members of my Chanel Classic Flap family...
And this is the jumbo size members of my Chanel Classic Flap family.
Aside from the Jumbo and Medium sizes for Classic Chanel flaps, there are also the "baguette" size (some people call it East/West size), the mini size (which is a square-shaped flap), and also the new released "maxi" size (even larger than a jumbo). But I am not really into these sizes coz they are not the practical for my lifestyle and these sizes don't really flatter my figure. That's why I only collect Jumbos and Mediums, in both gold and silver hardware/chain colors.
For the Chanal Classic Flaps, there are all sorts of leathers you can choose from: lambskin, caviar (calfskin with pebbled texture), patent, tweed, python, crocodile/alligator skin etc. You name it. I love lambskin the most because it just feels so "luxurious" and buttery soft. Caviar, on the other hand, is really durable. Patents are beautiful in their own ways, however, you need to store them carefully in a cool dry place to avoid the patent leather becoming sticky. I love python too and lucky to own 1 python flap in the metallic bronze color. Crocs are nice but too expensive (which I'd rather invest in a Hermes Birkin. Hahahaha!).
Then, there is also another very classic Chanel style called the "2.55 Reissue". The difference of the reissue vs. the classic style lies mainly on the chains and lock closure. For reissue styles, the lock is rectangular (it's called "Mademoiselle" lock), and the chains are "all metal" without any interwoven leather like the classic bags (this is called "reissue chain"). Actually, "Reissue" is the most classic Chanel bag of all because it was the 1st Chanel bag designed by Mlle Coco herself. The classic bags with CC closure was only introduced during the 80's when Karl Lagerfeld joined as the designer of Maison Chanel (i.e. House of Chanel). Reissue is a "MUST" for any Chanel collector/lovers out there! Hehehehe!
Here's my "Reissue" family members...
Now, "Reissue" also has different sizes:
1. Large size (32cm across, sometimes the US people call it "227" size because of the style number used prior to 2008)
2. Medium size (28cm across aka. "226" size)
3. Small size (25cm across aka. "225" size)
4. Baby size (20cm across aka. "224" size)
5. X-Large size (36cm across aka "228" size. This size was once released in 2007, but then this size is no longer available now.)
From top to botton / left to right, X-Large, Large, Medium, Small reissue:
I love the Large size the most coz it gives you the chic/casual look. I also have Medium and Small size for different occassions.
Here are some pictures of the different chain colors of "Reissue". Some are tarnished matte gold (I love this hardware the most because of its vintage effect), some are shiny silver, some are darker shade of ruthenium, some are black. These hardware color compliment each bag differently.
Now, here are different pictures categorized by leather:
Lambskins (Classic Flaps and Bubble Quilt Hobo Flap)
Caviar (Classic Flaps)
Patents (Classic Flaps and Reissues)
Pythons and Tweeds(Classic Flaps & Classic Clutch)
Of course, there's always this "Miscellaneous" category. Here are the other styles I own:
- Bubble Quilt Hobo Flap (shown earlier) and Bubble Quilt Bowler made of lambskin released in 2007 (Bubble Quilt is one of my favorite twist to classic flaps)
- Portobello "bag-in-bag" effect (the tote I always use) which was released in 2008 (Portobello's outer leather is in shiny calfskin, while the top cover is made of lambskin)
- Timeless Classic clutch (shown earlier) which is the only clutch style I own because Chanel's classic clutch is a pretty size which can fit in quite a lot of things as compared to other clutches. I love it in dark silver (which was a special limited edition released in 2008 in Hawaii only) and python.
- Tweed flap (shown earlier) which was released in 2004 and I love this special flap design which is a bit different from usual classic flaps. It's also known as "Mischa Barton tweed flap" coz she has been seen carrying this flap around for a lot of times. This is the only tweed flap I own and I love it to bits.
- Pearls Obsession lambskin accordion style small tote which is made of lambskin released in 2009 Spring/Summer. I love that this tote has navy faux pearls all around it with the CC made of these same navy faux pearls. I love pearls so I bought this bag for a change.
Miscellaneous Chanel bag...
So, that's all folks! Hope you enjoyed the "Chanel Lesson". Hehehehe! More to come!